I have embraced a more organic approach to facial skin care and my face has been loving it! Hopefully you will have a similar experience.
What you’ll need:
glass bottle + dropper
Rose Hip Seed oil
- small glass bottle + dropper (the one I use is 60 ml)
- cold pressed pure jojoba oil (40 ml)
- cold pressed pure rose hipseed oil (20 ml, species: rosa moschata, rosa rubiginosa, or rosa canina will do)
- steam distilled palmarosa oil (10 drops, scientific name: cymbopogon martini)
Why these ingredients?
Jojoba oil is well known in the cosmetic industry because it’s packed with beneficial fatty acids and is a carrier oil that also acts as a humectant by delivering and locking in moisture. It’s also been shown to have antibacterial (kills bacteria), antiinflammatory (reduces inflammation), and antioxidant properties (prohibits electron transfer from one substance to an oxidizing agent aka stops free radicals from forming).
Rose hip seed oil contains important active phytochemicals that exhibit robust antiaging properties via its antioxidant effects. Rose hip seed has also been shown to inhibit lipid peroxidation (oxidative degradation) of human tissue. It also has antimicrobial properties (kills microbes, in this case yeast and bacteria). Rose hip seed oil also holds moisturizing skin regenerative compounds within its free sugars and high essential fatty acid content. It also contains all-trans retinoic acid which is a form of vitamin A that’s beneficial for our skin.
Palmarosa is utilized as an essential oil because of its pleasant aroma. But, it also has antibacterial properties. The most recent findings show powerful inactivating abilities on staphylococcus aureus, the most commonly found bacteria on human skin.
1) pour 30 ml of jojoba oil into glass bottle
2) pour 20 ml of rose hip seed oil into glass bottle
3) add 10 drops of palmarosa oil
4) mix well with oil dropper by pushing serum in and out of dropper several times
Be careful not to contaminate the oil dropper! Shelf life is ~3 months.
Where do you buy these ingredients?
I buy the majority of my facial serum ingredients from ebay. I’ve had a lot of success with the seller Dr Adorable Inc. They don’t always have all the ingredients I want, so you may have to shop around. Good luck!
- 20 ml jojoba oil
- 10 ml burdock root oil
- 10 ml marula oil
- 10 ml rose hip seed oil
- 3 drops tea tree oil
- 10 drops palmarosa oil
- 5 drops grapefruit essential oil
Photos of various oils from Mountain Rose Herbs
1. Antibacterial Activity of Essential Oils from Palmarosa, Evening Primrose, Lavender and Tuberose. M. H. Lodhia, K. R. Bhatt, and V. S. Thaker.
2. Antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of native Rosa sp. from British Columbia, Canada. 2007, Vol. 58, No. 3 , Pages 178-189. (doi:10.1080/ 09637480601121318). Ocksook Yi, Eduardo M. Jovel, Ph.D 1, G. H. Neil Towers 1, Tanya R. Wahbe, and Dongwuk Cho.
3. Exotic fruits as a source of important phytochemicals: Improving the traditional use of Rosa canina fruits in Portugal. Lillian Barros, Ana Maria Carvalho, Isabel C.F.R. Ferreira, Indian J Pharm Sci. 2009 Mar-Apr; 71(2): 134–136.